Find out more at Course Preview - Register Now!
Next Session: NTU@one-north | 14 Jan 2023. (Saturday) | 10am – 12pm
Providing Quality Dementia Care
PROGRAMMES AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The principal aim of this programme is to prepare learners to provide high quality care to persons living with dementia.
The Certificate in Dementia Care (Synchronous E-Learning) has been designed to:
- Provide learners with the knowledge to understand Dementia and the effects the disease may have on persons living with Dementia
- Introduce a personhood perspective to aged care practices to effectively support and manage the needs of persons living with Dementia
- Explore the use of person centered care in Dementia
- Effectively engage persons living with Dementia through the development of communication skills and the understanding of unmet needs
- Improve the quality of life of persons living with Dementia and those who care for
This course is approved for SkillsFuture credit.
Please click here to apply.
This course has Training Grant subsidy from e2i:
- The Training Grant is a 70% subsidy of the Course Fees ($2,335.52) per pax.
- “Period of Funding” from 27-Sep-2020 to 27-Sep-2021 (the “End Date”).
- The participants shall be Singaporean or Singapore Permanent Residents.
More details on the terms and conditions will be shared at our course previews.
The Course includes 3 Taught Modules and an Industrial Attachment.
1. Understanding Dementia
This module provides the learner with the key knowledge required to comprehend Dementia and its effects on persons living with the disease. The learning objectives of this module are to:
- Understand the Anatomy and Physiology of the brain and the biological aspects of Dementia. Explore the use of person centered care in Dementia
- The concept of Personhood in Dementia
- The requirement for Person Centred Care in Dementia
- Learn screening techniques for Dementia
- To support families of persons living with Dementia
2. Engaging Persons Living With Dementia
The key focus of this module is communication with persons living with Dementia and learning to understand their unmet needs. The learning objectives of this module are to:
- Support a person with Dementia in Daily living activities
- Learn strategies for communicating with a person living with Dementia.The requirement for Person Centred Care in Dementia
- Understand the behaviours associated with Dementia
- Deal with challenging behaviours
3. 5-day industrial attachment
The purpose of this 5 day Industrial attachment is to apply the skills developed in the first two modules of the programme in an industry setting. Learners will be exposed to persons with Dementia and practice the care and communication of such persons.
The average student – to – lecturer ratio is 1:20.
4. Quality of Life
This module focuses on improving the quality of life for persons living with Dementia and their caregivers. The Learning Objectives for this module are to:
- Identify and develop a behaviour care Plan
- Understand self-care protection techniques
- Provide knowledge on using restraints in a residential care setting
- Introduce palliative Care in Dementia
- Be aware of caregiver stress and support
Methods of Assessment
At the end of the programme Students will submit a case presentation in the form of a written assignment and undertake a class presentation on their findings.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age and meet both the Academic and English language requirements for the programme
- Obtained at least 3 GCE ‘N’ Level Passes or 2 ‘O’ Level passes (including English).
- Completion of Grade 10 OR
- Mature Candidates (30 years old and above) with a minimum 8 years of working experience.
- Pass in English Language at GCE ‘N’ or ‘O’ Level
- IELTS 4.5 or equivalent
The course fees include
Non-refundable application fee S $160.50
Tuition Fee: S $3,570
*All fees quoted are inclusive of 7% GST.
*Effective 1st Jan 2023, GST rate of 8% shall be apply to both Application Fee and Tuition Fee.
This programme has Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP)* funding. UTAP is an individual skills upgrading account specially for NTUC members. As NTUC member, you can enjoy UTAP funding at 50% of the unfunded course fee capped at $250 every year. For more information, visit skillsupgrade.ntuc.org.sg or call NTUC Membership hotline at 6213 8008. (*UTAP terms & conditions apply).
*SkillsFuture Credit must first be used and thereafter, if there are balance course fees that are to be paid, NTUC Union Members can tap on UTAP
**Unfunded course fee refers to the balance course fee payable after applicable government subsidy. This excludes GST, registration fees, misc. fees etc.
Part Time Course
25 February 2023 (Sat) – 9am to 430pm
*Note – Schedule may be subjected to change should enrolment class size is below the minimum requirement of 15 pax & above.
Funding Opportunities for Singapore Residents
Students who successfully completed and pass all assignments shall be awarded a Certificate in Dementia Care awarded by RHA Academy.
Students will need to achieve a minimum attendance rate of 80%
2 Months Full Time / 6 Months Part Time
There are 72 e-learning contact hours and a 40 hours industrial attachment to apply skills in a workplace environment.
Graduates will be prepared for careers working with persons living with Dementia in Nursing homes, Day Care Centres, Respite Centres, Hospitals and as caregivers.
In collaboration with City of Glasgow College & the Salvation Army Peacehaven
City of Glasgow College is Scotland’s largest technical and professional skills college. They are ranked number one in the UK for WorldSkills and are rated 6 stars by the European Foundation of Quality management. Annually, 40,000 Students enrol in a wide variety of vocational, apprenticeship or leisure classes from access level to Advanced Diploma, and degree level study with their University partners.
The college maintain a commitment to Let Learning Flourish through the excellence and innovation of their sector-leading teaching methods and world class facilities. Their unique industry academy model utilises curriculum, staff expertise and industry partners to match the skills of their graduates to industry needs. As a result, their graduates possess industry relevant skills and highly sought after by employers.
Peacehaven is run by the Salvation Army to provide for the needs of the elderly community in Singapore. Peacehaven Nursing Home provides compassionate, individualized, holistic care to all without discrimination. They offer a comprehensive gamut of services to care for the sick, frail and elderly who have physical or mental disabilities with minimal or no appropriate caregiver support at home.
The Home has 14 separate Resident Living Areas (RLAs), each designed as an individual home-like environment. Hope RLA is specially designed to meet the needs of relatively independent residents with dementia. Peacehaven also provide Chronic Sick Services for residents with higher care needs, such as Tracheostomy care and Peritoneal dialysis.
I would highly recommend this course to my colleagues and friends.
Understand how they feel and struggle in their ADL.
Everyone was participating and getting involved. It makes a huge difference. I have attain a lot of information. I learn a lot practically. Highly recommended and I am glad I have attended.
The teaching method was delivered in simplified, non judgemental approach that I was able to comprehend.
The course has changed my thinking 360’. The examples used were relatable and appropriate for me to enhance my skills. I have finally understood the link between the anatomy and physiology of brain of a person suffering with Dementia and the exhibited symptoms, because even if I have heard a lesson about it a couple of times before, I did not really get the full picture. I am so glad to be in this course, gaining new knowledge of different approach and models. I hope to hold with me the learning experience and the emotional awakening I had so long as I am able to provide care not just as a nurse to my resident/patient but most importantly to my loved ones.
Thank You so much RHA Academy and Peacehaven Nursing Home!